The Tintic Mining District (named after a Ute Indian Chief named Tintic) was formed in 1869, and the town of Eureka was formed in 1870. Eureka was known as one of the quietest mining towns in the west, with a population of about 3500, was at the time the 9th largest city in Utah. In the 30's and 40's the mines began to close because of low prices and water difficulties, with the last major mine closing in 1957. Eureka currently has a population of about 700 people.
© Mark Duke Photography